LAUNCH Music Conference returns to Lancaster for their eighth blast-off Thursday thru Saturday night April 21-23. Day-time events include over 40 panels and seminars conducted by music industry professionals. Music starts at 6pm all three nights and includes performances by over 200 acts in many styles. Fourteen downtown venues will be rocking all weekend!
LAUNCH is a good opportunity for musicians to learn, play and network. It’s very much a gathering of the tribes and regular attendees (like me) treat it like a family reunion of sorts. The music business can be a lonely road with few directional signs or welcome centers. This annual weekend gives the musicians a chance to play for big crowds of their friends and to see those bands they rarely can catch due to their own performance schedules. Plus they never know who might see them perform and offer new opportunities.
You can’t see everybody; it’s the dilemma of festivals with multiple stages. But here are some acts I can vouch for as fun, talented, provocative models of what the weekend is all about. As a disclaimer, I should mention that none of my picks are metal/hardcore/thrash styles. I just don’t appreciate the genre enough to make informed choices. If you like it, this weekend is custom-made for you because we get too few chances to hear bands like that in Lancaster and LAUNCH founder Jeremy Weiss is an absolute authority on metal. My one heavy pick: From Under the Willow 7:30pm Saturday at Chameleon Club.
- Noelle Picara 6pm in the lobby of LCCC piano chanteuse from another world
- Dre Powe with Jamall Anthony 7:15pm LCCC Freedom Hall rap, R&B and soul
- The Quixote Project 8:45pm at Chameleon Club neo-Roots and Americana
- Meg and The Right Sound 9:15pm at The Candy Factory hometown Americana
- Lovebettie 11:15 at Federal Taphouse pop rock with swagger
- Colin McGetrick 12am at Federal Taphouse singer-songwriter-guitarist of WaveRadio
- Danielle & Jennifer 6pm LCCC lobby pop rock sister act: adorable yet deep
- Caroline Byrne 6pm Marion Court singer with American Idol on her resume
- The Late Saints 8pm at Tellus 360 Italian folk rock and be ready to dance
- Fink’s Constant 8:30pm at Tellus 360 Ska rock and reggae that will move you
- The Stonewall Vessels 10pm at Tellus 360 hometown rock go boom
- This Way to the Egress 11pm at Tellus 360 polka punk band accordion mayhem
- Sweet Leda 11:15 at Federal Taphouse rockin’ soul from 3-time Roots & Blues dynamos
- Angela Michelle Walker 11:45 at Tellus 360 heart-throb, hometown performer
- WaveRadio 12:15 at Tellus 360 distinctive rock sounds